Tax F.A.Qs.

Top Frequently Asked Questions


(Click Questions for Answers)

How do I notify the IRS my address has changed?
Is there an age limit on claiming my child as a dependent?
How much does an unmarried dependent student have to make before he or she has to file an income tax return?
If I claim my daughter who is a full-time college student as a dependent, can she claim her own personal exemption when she files her return?
Can I receive a tax refund if I am currently making payments under an installment agreement or payment plan for a prior year’s federal taxes?
To qualify for head of household filing status, do I have to claim my child as a dependent?
What should I do if I made a mistake on my federal return that I’ve already filed?
What is a split refund?
How do I know if I have to file quarterly individual estimated tax payments?
I retired last year, and started receiving social security payments. Do I have to pay taxes on my social security benefits?
What are the tax changes for this year?

Frequently Asked Question Categories

IRS Procedures
Filing Requirements, Status, Dependents, Exemptions
Itemized Deductions, Standard Deduction
Interest, Dividends, Other Types of Income
Retirement Plans
Social Security Income
Childcare Credit, Other Credits
Earned Income Tax Credit
Estimated Tax
Capital Gains, Losses, and Sale of Home
Sale or Trade of Business, Depreciation, Rentals
Small Business, Self-Employed, Other Business
U.S. Resident Aliens and Citizens Living Abroad
Electronic Filing (e-file)
Electronic Filers
Other (Alternative Minimum Tax, Estates, Trusts, Tax Shelters, State Tax Inquiries)
Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

Recent Developments for Tax Forms, Instructions, and Publications
Each year we update the answers to reflect the latest changes in tax regulations.

Tax Topics
These Tax Topics contain general individual and business tax information.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 29-Jul-2015